Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Independence Day!

Ahhh, there's nothing like waking up and getting ready for a day of grilling, fireworks, friends & family, and an all around good time in celebration of the United States first major steps towards becoming the United States of America. I read an article this morning that said the declaration of independence was actually signed on July 2nd. We happen to celebrate the day that congress adopted it and made it an official "Hey! King George, we're takin' off. Thanks for everything. Sincerely, US."

At any rate, for US today, and not the magazine...We get to remember that it was a fight for us to have the privileges we have in this country, and for that I am truly grateful. And with my gratitude I thought it would be fun to share a recipe one of my lovely aunts shared with me!

We know about hot dogs, and burgers, and grilled onions, and bell peppers...even pineapples get grilled! But did you also know you can grill lettuce?! It's true. And it's delicious. And I hope you try it!

Here it is:

Grilled Lettuce

Use green leaf, endive, romaine, or radicchio lettuce.
Quarter the lettuce, and roll it in a mixture of:
1/3rd cup sugar
1/3rd cup red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
1/3rd cup olive oil
Garlic, salt and pepper to taste (you can add a little freshly squeezed lemon juice to the mix as well)
Grill for about 25 seconds on a side on a medium heat setting

And there you have it! Grilled lettuce. Super simple. Super tasty. And whatever you do I hope that you have a BLAST today with your friends and loved ones! Be safe. Eat well. Have fun.


P.S. I want to say a special thank you to our men and women in the service who are faithfully laying down their freedoms and their lives for us to be able to live like we do. May God truly bless you and keep you safe! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!


~Amber

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I have never heard of grilled lettuce before, it sounds interesting and good. I will have to try it sometime.

Happy 4th, Amber!

Sladjana said...

WOW! Grilled Lettuce?
Every day learnin` something new :)
Lovely post Amber! xo
S