Monday, September 26, 2011

Music Monday - Favorite Movie Soundtracks

Some movies have music in the background for the sake of filling space...some movies rely on the music to help tell the story. These end up being some of my all time favorite movies. It reminds me how important every role is when it comes to telling a story. It's not just about the actors telling the story, it's about the lighting that helps to set the mood, the photography that helps show the depth and fullness of life around the characters, the direction and editing that help keep the pace of the story interesting and engaging, and of course, the music which helps to pull you into the story and help you feel what the characters are feeling. All of these elements (and more) pull together to make something magical happen for which we will pay up to $14 a person to experience with our eyes and ears. (For the record, I was told that the $3 theaters are packed these days because let's face it, if we can experience the same show and spend $14 for a ticket AND treats (or less than that even), then I'd say it's worth dealing with a full theater and a crowded parking lot. Sorry, Regal.)

Anyhoo... here are some of my favorite movie soundtracks in no particular order:

Braveheart - by James Horner
The Matrix Trilogy - by Don Davis & Various Artists
Garden State - by Various Artists
Juno - by Various Artists
Selena - by Selena
Walk the Line - by Johnny Cash & June Carter (performed by Joaquin Phoenix & Reese Witherspoon)
Once - by Glen Hansard & Markéta Irglová
Last of the Mohicans - by Trevor Jones & Randy Edelman
The Passion of the Christ - by John Debney
10 Things I Hate About You - by Various Artists

Oh how I love those sounds! Happy Monday to you all!!



4 comments:

Natalia said...

I love film and soundtracks '10 Things I Hate About You' :)

Melissa said...

I've only heard the Selena and Walk The Line ones but will have to check out the others!

tdimhcsmk said...

You should check out the soundtrack for "The Last Kiss" (:

dani said...

Yes!!! I love movie soundtracks. I have the "Braveheart" soundtrack, and I absolutely love it. Every time I hear one of the instrumentals, I think of Mel Gibson (or William Wallace) seeing his dead wife.(So sad...also one of my favorite movies!) P.S. I think Enya does the theme music for that!
I also have the Selena soundtrack...AWESOME!!! I think "Dreaming of You" is my favorite song from that album!
And then there's "The Passion of the Christ", which I don't have the soundtrack for, but the music was breathtaking. I'm surprised I even observed the music considering the fact that this movie was so real and crippling. I cried through the whole thing (tears of sadness, but JOY...He's alive and lives in ME!!!)!