Monday, April 22, 2013

Music Monday - Microphones

A microphone can make a huge difference when it comes to making your voice or instrument amplify the tone and resonance that makes us all go “ahhhhhh.” Engineers and professionals known this well. They become obsessive about it. Not just the kind of microphone they’re using, but the placement of the microphone. There may even be tape measurers involved. While the topic is a bit over my head in its detail, I can tell you, I know the difference between a quality mic and one that should be used with at home karaoke machines.


There’s a broad variety, and I am looking forward to the growth of my collection, however, I’d like to share with you two of my favorite Microphones.

First up is one that my friend Eric Bias gave me. It is not only beautiful in its performance and capture of my smokey vocal tone, but it is sleek and sexy in its appearance. The Sennheiser e835.



Next up is one of the most common microphones you’ll see, but it’s common for a good reason: it’s a fabulous mic! The Shure SM58.

I’ve used both of these mics a lot. What I love about the 58 is that it is as bright as it is round, and it doesn’t feed back like a few other mics I’ve used, particularly in smaller rooms. It’s just as great when micing amps too!

What I love about the e835 is that is enhances the smokiness of my voice and it’s gain level makes it perfect for big and small venues! I’ve yet to experience feedback with this mic!

So, if you’re looking for a couple of good mics, or if you’re stuck on using 58’s because it’s the standard and are looking for an option to branch out into, try the Sennheiser e835! You’ll be wonderfully surprised!

Enjoy the sounds you make with these fun toys!

Until next time,

Take care of your hearts & ears!

~Amber
www.theambersweeney.com
~Listen With Your Heart~

No comments: