Thursday, April 4, 2013

Throwback Thursday - Roller blades

Every now and then I think “whatever happened to roller blades?” Sure there are some underground extreme sports dudes who still “blade” all over the skate parks and whatnot, and of course, there’s the come back of roller skates via roller derby and the like...but does anyone remember how freakin’ cool roller blades were when they came out? Oh yes. I do! As you can see in the picture below, I was kinda little and my mom was super cool (I eventually inherited those sweet blades you see there), but man were they rad-i-cal!


I remember being in complete awe that you could balance on inline wheels. I couldn’t wait to get a pair so I could try to “hockey stop” on the pavement. That’s how you knew you were really cool. Of course, there might still be some rocks living underneath the surface of the skin somewhere on a few of my friends as we all started trying to be cool in front of each other, not to mention a healthy amount of scars from road rashes...


I contemplate buying a pair ever so often, until I realize that they would ultimately become a decorative piece in a corner because I live in an area where you can’t just strap those wheels to your feet and cruise around the neighborhood. I’d actually have to get in my car and drive somewhere smooth and flat enough to insure that a trip to the E.R. was not imminent. That just seems like a lot of work. Instead, I’ll show you all a ridiculous picture of what the early 90s looked like and remember that once upon a time, I didn’t consider things like E.R. visits or the effort it took to lace up and roll out.

Ahh. I am so grateful to have something as awesome as roller blades to throw back to on a Thursday such as this!

Until next time,

Take care of your hearts and ears

~Amber
www.theambersweeney.com
Listen With Your Heart

No comments: