Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Topic Tuesday - Take Up The Holiday Offer

It’s 6:30am. Your alarm goes off. You grudgingly hit snooze. You fall back asleep for a precious 9 minutes and dream of the weekend, when you can sleep the day away...of course, some of you have kids, so that’s really just a dream. You find it harder and harder to get up. You fill your time with hours and hours of work to meet your deadlines and maybe get that promotion you’re hoping for. You come home exhausted and dig into last night’s pizza, not even caring to warm it up. You can’t remember the last book you read. Reading seems like such a chore. You surf the web aimlessly while Friends or Seinfeld chirp in the background. You need a vacation. Seriously.

What I love about vacation is that it breaks the norm. You could be just as busy doing sight seeing, or swimming, but you’ve stepped away from your normal worries and routines and allowed yourself, and your brain to hit reset. You experience new things, get out of the automated grumpy mode, and allow your spirit and soul to find that much needed selah. Even if it’s just for the weekend, breaking your routine to do something that takes you away from your regular challenges is well worth it.

I could probably quote all of the articles I’ve read on all of the studies about how this is positive, but let’s face it, I don’t want to take the time to do that. Why? Because I’m getting ready to go on vacation. I’d rather spend my extra minutes researching what to bring camping, or what book I get to read while I escape from technology for a blissful few days of sunshine, cooking over a fire, and laughing my butt off with my friends. All I know is that every time I take the time to get out of town and do something besides the daily grind, I’m inspired to come home and take it all on with a renewed passion and slightly different perspectives. I’m able to actually take an inventory of my life and see how well it’s going, rather than turn on autopilot and hope all my challenges work themselves out.

One of my favorite vacation times was driving across the US a few years ago with my best friend, Jessicca. It was so much fun! We started in WA and ended In NC. Of the many memorable moments, such as chasing a thunderstorm in New Mexico and witnessing the gorgeous landscape it had to offer, was the great oil spill in Texas. We had been driving for nearly 12 hours and forgot to take into account the time changes we would cross throughout the day. It was a long day of driving and a good part of it was in some pretty extreme heat and altitude changes. We were both exhausted and as exhausted bff’s do, we found ourselves in some ridiculous squabble. We got to the hotel we had booked around midnight. We had a very small window of time to sleep before hitting the road the next day, and a number of valuables in the car, so we decided not to leave anything inside. We opened the back of the pick up to see that the oil we had purchased as a precaution was no longer in it’s container. It had somehow overflowed through while standing up and saturated the back of the pick up, ruining a few of our things...mostly Jessicca’s. Irritation had turned to furry and I did the only thing I could think of. I started laughing. I suddenly realized how funny this whole situation, plus the squabble from before was. We had no choice but to check in and clean up what we could of the oil spill, and salvage what we could of our belongings. It was truly no laughing matter, but it kind of was at the same time. We didn’t get much sleep that night and had a 14 hour day ahead of us the next day, which made it that much more challenging, but we survived and laugh pretty hard at it now. I still have oil in the back of my truck. It reminds me that I have amazing friends who love to go on adventures and meet the various elements that life throws at us with arms wide open. I never have to go it alone, and I’ll always have someone to clean up the messy stuff with.

So, what I really want to know then, is what are some of your favorite vacation spots, and what you do you while you’re gone? What are some of your favorite stories, or experiences from the times you’ve snuck away from the real world and gave your lungs the freedom to breath a bit?

Tell a good story and I would love to feature it on an upcoming blog!

Until next time,

Take care of your hearts & ears

~Amber
www.theambersweeney.com
~Listen With Your Heart~

2 comments:

Elephant Girl C said...

My favorite "vacation" also... of course I love sitting on a beach or lying by a pool MUCH better, but it was a trip of a lifetime... Who gets to drive cross country with their BFF? I DO! :)

alison bell said...

Being housebound and predominantly bed ridden, i can no longer holiday. But one of my favourite memories, was from a holiday to Spain when i was just days into being 15, with my mum, dad and elder sister. Although meeting my now ex-fiance there is a lifetime high point, the holiday memorable awesomeness, was at each midnight, my mum and i would have a cocktail of the day* and share a bag of chips (you all them fries right?) by the outdoor pool, with the cool evening being a big welcome bonus after such hot days, the moon hovering over the pool, twinkles everywhere- highlighting everyones smiles. I miss my muma so much, and Im so blessed that this is just one treasure! Im going to go now and write a letter about this to my interuterine niece. Thanks for reminding me of it, for sharing your treasures, and for being you. I am so glad you have such wonderful people around you ma'am! Bless you all.
Much love
Alison bell
God bless